Tuesday 22 January 2013

Thinking About February

February's idea for the One Game A Month challenge is another simple game. This one differs from the last game in that it is completely my idea, based off of a dream I had awhile ago.

The game design is as follows:

You own a petting zoo full of cute creatures, but your zoo has run out of water. You must drive to a watering hole, fill up your van with water and drive back.

There are a few problems though. First, your van uses up fuel rather quickly. The other problem is made apparent when you drain the watering hole. It seems the local wildlife don't appreciate you taking their water, so they jump into your van and do their best to drink as much of the water as they can before you get back to your zoo!

As we know, problems always have solutions and these are no different. Lack of fuel is easily solved as the "fuel" your van runs on is junk food and there is quite a bit of it littering the road. Simply run over it and your van automatically converts it into fuel. As for the animals...well, there's only one thing you can do - throw them out! This is done by hitting potholes and rocks in the road. Hit enough of them and an animal will fall out of the back of the van. The less animals there are in the van, the less they can drink!

This game is going to be done in GameMaker again as I still don't know enough C++ or Python to do much in the way of programming (I'm still learning the basics). I'm also not certain how I can turn this idea into an actual game; that is, keeping count of the animals, determining how to get GameMaker to randomly choose an animal to bounce out of the van and so on, but I do have a few ideas. If anyone can give me a hint or two, I will definitely listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment