Tuesday 29 January 2013

1GAM Month 1 Feature #5

This is the final feature for the month of January. In two short days February will be upon us and all of us who are taking part in the one game a month challenge will start building new games. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!




Life Blood by Dean Giberson


For this final feature, I went through the current list of (476) games on onegameamonth.com, starting from the bottom, and worked my way up the list until I found a game that really "spoke" to me. The game I choose is Life Blood by Dean Giberson.

In Life Blood, you fill a measuring cup by catching drops of blood. Once the cup is full, you pour the blood into the heart and start again. The game is over when the timer in the upper right corner of the screen reaches 0.

The controls are intuitive and responsive, the sounds simple yet effective and the design quite pleasing to the eye. Game play is very straightforward and the difficulty level very easy.

In fact, the only critiques I have for the game is that it's too easy. There is no difficulty ramp at all and very little challenge as the drops of blood fall at the same steady rate throughout the game. Saying that, it's still a good game (I wouldn't have spent nearly 20 minutes playing it otherwise) and enjoyable to play.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review. I agree that there is no difficulty ramp.

    This project was done in the GGJ13 as a single man project. I focused on the core gameplay with the hope that I could add more features after. That never happened; which is the way of things.

    There are a bunch of things I would like to add, and one core feature that needs more explanation to new players, the pouring of blood back into the heart is not clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean.

      Thank you for taking time to read my blog feature on your game. I really did enjoy playing it.

      The fact that you needed to pour the blood back into the heart was apparent to me as it is stated in the game information. It did take a few seconds to realise exactly how to do it though.

      Still it's a very good game!

      Delete